Thursday, July 5, 2012

My first day at Disney World

My first day at Disney World May 2001

My first trip to Disney World was myself and my five year old daughter.  We will discuss the pre-planning a little later on this blog.  We flew from Pittsburgh, PA to Orlando, FL.  This was the first time one a plane for both of us.  I packed a fun bag for the plane and worried the flight would be turbulent...  because what would I have to get her back on the plane to come home if she had a bad experience?  Get on that plane or you have to stay here the rest of your life?  That is not going to work.  Thankfully the flight down was excellent and my daughter had a pleasant experience.

Once we got to the airport we got our bags and rode the Disney Bus to the All Star Movies resort.  Our trip was for 4 nights and 5 days.  We had the Disney Dinning Plan it was a little different back then as our plan was 2 full service meals per night (in my opinion the perfect number of meals more on the dining plan later). We ended up with a great location in the hotel (and I have yet to find another in a similar set up on the maps anyway).  We were in room 0834 in the Toy Story area it was near the bucket of soldiers stairway and we could get to the bus area in relatively no time and could avoid all the pool and food court traffic.  A five year old can get easily distracted by all the sites so it was really helpful to allow us to get to the parks really quickly in the morning.   I have looked at other hotels hoping to find that same type of quick access to the buses and have not as of yet but feel free to comment if you have found others.
Disney All Start Movie Room Location

Biggest note: Get to the parks early you will get more accomplished in the first hour than you will in the next three.

As a first time visitor I did not know to check the park hours ahead of time.  It is so important I planned to have dinner the first day I was there at Rain Forest Cafe at 5pm then go to Animal Kingdom ("AK").  For those of you who don't know AK closes around 5 most days in May anyway.  So I had to cancel a dinner reservation and make a new one first thing when I got there, which could have been a little frustrating but everything at Disney is easy so it worked out.  Also when I got to my room the room safe still had the previous guest envelopes full of money and passports, so make sure you do't forget that kind of stuff in your room.  I immediately called the front desk they came up and got it and held it at the front desk.  A little later the owners came by the room and I directed them to the front desk, so all was well.

So we started our Disney World Trip at Magic Kingdom and had dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern.

No comments:

Post a Comment